Nanny Cam Reviews
Nanny cams became popular a few decades ago when parents began looking for ways to ensure that their children were being taken care of by the hired nannies and babysitters. The first nanny cam to gain a lot of recognition was the type of camera that is placed into a child’s teddy bear. Nanny cams are super small, fully functional video cameras that are hidden in different items to keep people from detecting them. Nanny cams can be purchased separately and placed into items on your own or you can purchase them already placed into items such as pens, plants, photo frames, smoke alarms, and much more.
There are several reasons that someone might purchase a nanny cam. Although their original reason for being created was to record babysitters when the parents weren’t home, now they are used for many different reasons and other places besides the home. Although they may have been originally created to check on the babysitter while the parents were away, nanny cams are now being used for all types of monitoring from household employees to office workers.
They are still a popular way to check up on the babysitter but their use has definitely expanded as the need has grown to find out what is going on when the parents or bosses are not present. They are even being used to protect elderly parents who may be in nursing homes or having home nursing care. If you are unsure in any way what is going on in your home while you are away, a hidden nanny cam can help.
Top Rated Hidden Nanny Cams
Technology used for these types of hidden cameras has grown over the years. They can take video and still photos and provide audio tracks as well. Nanny cams are so small that they can be hidden in anything. Some already come embedded in different items but you can buy the camera and place it yourself if you prefer.
Nanny Cam Buying Guide
Determining Your Needs
Before you purchase a hidden nanny cam you will need to determine what your individual needs are. This can vary from person to person so we have compiled a list of questions that you can ask yourself. The answers to these questions will help you nail down your specific needs so you don’t purchase a hidden nanny cam that doesn’t do what you need it to do.
- What do you want the hidden nanny cam for? – Do you want to make sure your babysitter or nanny is taking care of your children properly and safely? Is your elderly parent in a nursing home that you are not quite sure of? Are you a business owner or boss wanting to know what your employees are doing when you are not there? What you want to use the nanny cam for will determine what type of hidden camera you purchase.
- Where will you put the hidden nanny cam? – The room you put the hidden camera in matters so you choose a product that fits in well with the surroundings. If you want to monitor your employees at the office, you wouldn’t choose a teddy bear cam but a pen camera or alarm clock camera will fit in perfectly. Take into consideration where you want to put the hidden camera so you choose a disguise that doesn’t draw attention to itself.
- What Features are important to you? – Do you need a certain amount of continuous recording time? How much storage capacity do you need? Are you only going to be recording or do you want to be able to take still photos as well? Hidden nanny cams have many different features that they can come with. Decide what features are the most important to you and make sure that you only consider models that have those features listed in the description.
- Do you prefer motion detection recording? – Many hidden nanny cams have a motion sensor recording mode. This is an excellent feature that extends the life of your battery and allows for you to record for longer periods of time without having to stop and charge the device.
Uses for Nanny Cams
Nanny cams have all types of cameras and camera disguises that can be purchased. You can place them in stuffed animals, clocks, smoke alarms, plugs, photo frames and even soda cans. Most of the nanny cams on the market have audio capabilities as well so you can hear as well as see what is going on.
- Protecting Children or the Elderly – The use of nanny cams has been responsible for saving many children from abusive sitters, family members, friends and nannies. It has also helped uncover neglect or inappropriate treatment of elderly parents. If you have reason to believe your child or parent is being mistreated, a nanny cam can put your mind at ease or uncover what you are concerned about and allow you to do what it necessary.
- Business Security – Hidden nanny cams are used in businesses of all kinds to find thieves, inappropriate behavior towards customers, laziness and many other things that a boss doesn’t want to see from his employees. With the current technology, you can get a hidden nanny cam that you can place anywhere in your office or front area or purchase one that is already hidden in a device such as a photo frame, clock, smoke alarm, or any number of other items. These nanny cams will provide the information the boss is looking for.
- Surveillance – Surveillance cameras are use mostly in businesses, inside and out and around residential homes to monitor the outside of the home for safety reasons. Other ways that surveillance cameras are used is to monitor traffic easier. You will see this type of hidden camera most often in traffic lights that have cameras designed to snap photos of those who speed through the light.
Common Features of Nanny Cams
There are several features that can make the nanny cam even more useful and easy to use. Every nanny cam has elements that determine how well it performs. These elements are:
- Recording options
- Video resolution
- Presence of a DVR within the camera
These three elements are very important and determine what capabilities the nanny cam has. Make sure you know what the camera offers in these categories. If you have chosen a hidden nanny cam that is placed inside a clock or pen, make sure that you know ahead of time whether it also actually works as the item it is; for example, the pen really writes. This will prevent any questions if someone comes in and grabs it to write with only to find out it is a “fake” pen. Below we have also listed some of the more common features you will find with hidden nanny cams.
Motion Detection Recording
Motion detection recording means that the camera will automatically start recording whenever movement is detected in the room the camera is located in.
Camera Lens Angle
There are many different choices that a hidden nanny cam can offer consumers. The camera angle is one of those things that are important to look at. The angle of the lens determines how much of the room you can see. Look for wide angle hidden cameras so you can get as much of the room as possible in your recordings.
PC and MAC Compatible
You will be reviewing your recordings and still shots after you take them so be sure that your hidden nanny cam is PC and MAC compatible. Most hidden nanny cams come with USB cables that hook the camera to the computer. This allows you to download the content to your computer where you can view and then store it.
Extra storage is always a plus. If your hidden nanny camera doesn’t have additional SD cards with purchase, you should consider purchasing an extra one. Make sure that you know the cameras SD capacity so you get one the camera supports.
Look for nanny cams that have a good ability to focus on different aspects of the room whether it’s close up parts of the room or things on the other side. You want to make sure that the camera can easily focus on things even if they are not directly in front of the camera.
Resolution is very important in having clear recordings and photos to view. A hidden nanny cam doesn’t do any good if you can’t tell what you are seeing and looking at. High resolution hidden cameras are everywhere so don’t think that just because the camera is small that it means the resolution will be bad or fuzzy. You can still get crystal clear images and video, just look around for the resolution listing so you know what the camera is capable of.
Common Hidden Camera Items
There are many different types of hidden cameras on the market. Nanny cams can be pre- installed in an item or you can purchase just the camera and place them yourself. We have listed some of the unique and interesting places that nanny cams may be used.
Remember that when you are placing your nanny cams, you want them to be as hidden as possible. When you are trying to record secretly, having an obvious camera is not going to give you the results you are looking for.
With all of the options out there, you will be able to find a nanny cam that will meet your needs and provide you with the information you want to find out from your hidden cameras, whether it’s to protect your children or your business.
- Stuffed animals
- Alarm clocks
- Smoke alarms
- Coat hooks
- Soda cans
- Picture frames
- Eye glasses
- Button holes
- Book-like items
These are just a few of the more commonly used items for hiding nanny cams. As long as it is not detectable, you can put pinhole cameras almost anywhere. Just test them and be sure that you have a clear view.
Even though nanny cams were invented and used for a very specific purpose decades ago, a lot has changed in the mini spy camera world and now they are used in many different situations. They all have the same function which is to provide information to a homeowner, parent or business owner about situations and behavior going on when they are not around.
Is the babysitter taking care of the children well? Is she kind to them? Or is she on the phone or watching TV all the time while the child is largely unsupervised? In the work force…are the employees treating customers the way the company trains them to or are they rude and unprofessional when the boss’s back is turned?
Nanny cams can help unearth these problems and help the one doing the recording make the necessary adjustments in personnel or sitters that are necessary. They are an excellent way to protect your children, home, pets, belongings, business reputation, and much more.
The information in this guide and the reviews that we have provided on several top rated nanny cams can help you understand how these ingenious devices work so you can choose the right one fmuor your specific needs. The right knowledge will help you avoid the nanny cams that are not up to par performance wise and quality wise.
Some people may argue that hidden cameras are not fair but when you are protecting your children or the business you have worked hard to create, sometimes it is necessary to do things that may be considered unfair. It is the only way to truly know exactly what is going on when you are not right there. In the case of your children, it gives them a voice where as a young child or infant, they aren’t able to speak for themselves.