There are many different types of smart home products on the market today. Home automation is more popular than ever and is growing in demand as people realize how much convenience and peace of mind smart homes provide. Smart Doorbells are a great example of one of these popular home automation products.
Now that you have options when it comes to answering a ringing doorbell, you can enjoy a level of security and privacy that traditional doorbells can’t provide.
Enjoy the ability to hear, speak to and see anyone who is at your door with the Ring Wi-Fi enabled video doorbell.
A few of the choices you can enjoy include seeing who is at the door without them knowing, responding to the visitor without having to open the door, ensuring that the security system is activated or deactivated and much more. To make it even better, you can do all these things from your Smartphone from miles away.
The days of peeking through the blinds or hiding from whoever is at the door are over. Now you can confidently see who it is, decide if you want to address them or just let it go. Consumers that use smart doorbells are enjoying peace of mind they have never had before and you can enjoy that same peace of mind.
If you don’t know what kind of smart doorbells are available or know about the features they can come with you may have a difficult time choosing the right one for your home. We will help the research and purchase process by providing you with plenty of information that will give you the knowledge you need to make an informed decision.
- Top Rated Smart Video Doorbells Reviews
- Smart Doorbells Buyers Guide
Top Rated Smart Video Doorbells Reviews
This knowledge will take away the concern over whether you have chosen the right product or not. No one wants to waste money by accidentally purchasing the wrong product. Using this guide and the information we have provided will ensure that your money is wisely spent on a smart doorbell that you will enjoy using and get a lot of benefits from.
Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
|Easy installation||Built-in motion sensors
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
|High definition, wide angle video||Customizable motion detection zones
|Best Wireless |
ALEKO WIFI Smart Doorbell
|Can connect 8 doorbells and 8 mobile devices||AC/DC power supply eliminates battery worries
|Best Cheap Option|
Zmodo Greet –Wi-Fi
|Inexpensive||Easy to set up and use
SkyBell HD Silver WiFi
|Full-color night vision||Live alerts|
|The Runner Up|
View On Amazon
|Connect Unlimited smartphones and tablets||Can handle any type of weather
Smart Doorbells Buyers Guide
Determining Your Needs
When purchasing a product of this nature it is important to know what your specific needs are ahead of time so you don’t waste money on a device that won’t work with your lifestyle or needs. We have listed some questions below that you should ask yourself before you purchase a smart video doorbell. These questions will help you determine your needs and will make the research and purchase process much easier.
- Do you travel a lot? – If you are away from home on business frequently you want to ensure that you choose a video doorbell that will allow you to handle all the functions from anywhere in the world. This is very convenient when you are not home and provides an additional level of security since it will appear as if you are home.
- How many doorbells do you want? – Most people have one main front entrance and a back door as well. Do you want to have a video doorbell at both entrances to your home? Having one at the backdoor provides even more security since burglars may not think you would have an actual doorbell at the back, let alone one that can video them. If you want more than one doorbell make sure to choose a product that allows for multiple doorbells to be connected.
- What features are most important? – What do you want to be able to do with the video doorbell? Do you want to be able to record front door activity? Do you want to be able to use live view just to check and see that things are fine even if no one is at the door? Think about the features you will use and look for smart video doorbells that have those features.
- Do you have a set budget? – Smart video doorbells have many different price points depending on the brand, features, and other factors. If you have a set budget, make sure that you look for video doorbells that fit into that range. You can find an excellent smart doorbell for less than $200. Don’t choose a video doorbell solely on price alone. Cheap models will not provide the quality sound and video clarity you want.
Types of Smart Doorbells
There are two main types of smart doorbells on the market: wireless doorbells and video doorbells. We have listed both types below along with some information about them.
Wireless doorbells allow you to connect the doorbell chime to the transmitter via radio waves which eliminates dealing with complicated wiring or having to hire someone to install them which can be quite costly. This type of doorbell is very convenient and allows the home owner to get alerts to their phones when someone is at the door and rings the bell.
When it comes to some of the advanced technology on the market today, wireless doorbells are pretty basic but they offer a level of convenience that traditional doorbells do not. Some of the pros to using wireless doorbells include portability, easy installation, less cost, and they are usually very stylish.
Make sure you check customer comments to see how connectivity is. This can be a problem so checking to see what experiences customers are having can prevent you from purchasing a substandard doorbell.
Smart video doorbells add a level of convenience and safety to your lives that was not possible decades ago. With a video doorbell you can see who is at the door without having to actually go to the door and answer it. In fact, you can “answer” your door from work, a hotel thousands of miles away or anywhere else you are, right from your smartphone. You will also be able to speak to them and let them know you are not available. It will make it appear as if you are home which increases the security at home.
Video doorbells use a lot of advanced technology that allows you to check on your front door area (and back door if you have more than one doorbell connected) even if no one has rung the bell thanks to live view capabilities that some video doorbells offer. Most also offer night vision capability so you can see who is at your door any time of day or night.
Smart video doorbells are more expensive than other types of doorbells but they provide a lot more as well. They are definitely worth the added expense, especially if you have children at home alone after school or you travel often with business.
Common Features of Smart Doorbells
Smart video doorbells have a lot of features that make them very valuable to have. Not only do they help lower home insurance rates, they increase safety and security as well. We have listed some of the more common video doorbell features available. If you are not familiar with the features, this list will help introduce you to all the different capabilities and options these convenient and useful doorbells can have.
- Wi-Fi capability – Most video doorbells require Wi-Fi connection to send you the video and audio as well as the alerts. Some can also use 3G/4G connections as well. Make sure when you are researching and shopping that the video phones you are interested in do not require any additional subscription or hub to work.
- Lock/Unlock Door Remotely – If your child has forgotten their key, you can see them at the front door and unlock it for them so they can get in and lock it behind them. This is a great feature to have if you need to let someone in and you are in another part of the house, in the bath or not home at all.
- Two-way audio– This feature allows you to speak to the person at the door without having to open it. This is very handy when you are busy with the children or at work when someone comes to the door. You can tell the UPS person where to place your package or send someone away that you do not want to see at that moment such as a salesperson.
- Infrared Night Vision – This is very helpful when it comes to seeing who is at the door at night. If you have called for pizza delivery, you’ll be able to see the delivery person at the door and let them know you are on the way to the door, for example. This feature helps relieve worry over answering the door when you don’t know who is on the other side of it.
- Multiple Doorbell Connectivity – Many people have more than one entry they want to put a video doorbell. The back door is an excellent place to have one to increase safety and security around your home. Most burglars will not expect there to be video at the back door so you will have improved your security in that one move. Many video doorbells allow for multiple doors and multiple devices to be hooked up. The product will list this in the description if it offers this feature.
- Live View – Live view is a great feature that allows you to get live feed from your front door even if no one has rung the doorbell. This is great for those who like to just check on things. Not all video doorbells offer live feed but if you are the type that likes to just make sure everything is fine, live feed features are just right for you.
- Recording/Photo Capability – Some models of smart video doorbells offer the ability to record footage of who is at the door or take still photos. This is very beneficial if someone is at the door who is not supposed to be or who is acting suspicious.
- Dual Power – Video doorbells usually have an internal battery but most can be wired into the existing wired doorbell your home has. This is not typically too difficult and does not require hiring someone unless you are just more comfortable with that. Many homeowners prefer to wire the video doorbell to the existing doorbell so it can chime inside when someone rings the bell. It also eliminates the need to worry about low batteries or changing them.
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices – You want to choose a video doorbell that is compatible with the mobile devices you have. Most of the models that are compatible with PCs are only able to be if the PC uses Windows 10 but the majority is compatible with most iOS and Android mobile devices and tablets.
- Adjustable Camera – Being able to adjust the angle of your video doorbell camera is very useful if you want to see more than just directly in front of the door. Wide angle cameras are best because they can pick up if someone is purposely standing outside of the view of the doorbell.
- Motion Detection Sensors – Motion detectors are great because if any movement is detected within the sensors, you will get an alert on your phone that someone or something is hanging around the door. Some video phones offer motion sensor customization so you can choose the sensitivity as well as the areas you want monitored.
- Interchangeable faceplates or finish choices – Some smart video doorbells offer interchangeable faceplates so you can change the look of your video doorbell. There are also finish choices that some have available to choose from including polished brass, satin nickel and other attractive finishes that can match the exterior of your home.
It’s hard to argue with the increased safety and security that smart video doorbells offer you, especially if you work outside the home or travel a lot. When you have a video doorbell installed you will not have to wonder who is at the door anymore. You’ll get an alert right on your smartphone and be able to see, hear and speak to them even if you are not home.
This technology is great if you have children home alone after school while you are at work or if you go out to dinner. If someone comes to the door while you are gone, you can answer the door for your child and whoever is at the door will think you are home too.
You can leave knowing that there is extra protection in place. It can also help deter potential burglars because if they are trying to see if you are home, it will appear as if you are. Most burglars are looking for homes where people are gone so this is an added benefit to having these video doorbells.
There are many different models of smart video doorbells on the market to choose from. Some are very simple in nature and don’t have a lot of features and others have every feature imaginable. They are available in all price ranges to fit every budget.
The information that we have provided in this guide is designed to help you understand what video doorbells can do, what features they have and how to determine your needs so you choose the perfect one for your home. We have also brought you 6 excellent choices to look over that cover everything a video doorbell is capable of. You are sure to find one that fits your preferences, lifestyle and needs perfectly.
Once you have decided what you want, how many video doorbells you want and what your budget is, if any, you can start researching what is available and see which ones appeal to you. Make sure that you check out customer comments on the different models you are considering.
This can give you a lot of inside information that isn’t possible in the description. The comments come from customers that have purchased and are using the video doorbells so you will hear about what they love and what they don’t like about the units you are looking at purchasing.