Text to Speech Software Reviews
Whatever your reason is, text to speech software can make things much easier for you, but you want to make sure that you choose quality TTS software. After doing extensive testing and research, our choice for Best Overall TTS software is Natural Reader TTS Software with Balabolka coming in as the Best Free Text to Speech software.
Using text to speech software can be beneficial. It can be very helpful for anyone who has visual impairments or that has dyslexia which can make reading on computer or tablet screens challenging. Also, text to speech software can help overcome language barriers in situations where you may be able to read a language but have trouble with pronunciation or if you are just starting to learn a language.
Text to Speech Software Buying Guide
Benefits of Text to Speech Software
There are many benefits that text to speech software provides to users. Whether you are a consumer, content owner, or publisher, you will find many ways that TTS software will help you in your day to day routine, in many cases providing a much better user experience where they would otherwise be let down or struggle. We have listed the groups of people that can significantly benefit from adding text to speech software to their computer or other devices.
- Literacy difficulties – TTS software is excellent for anyone that has literacy difficulties. It’s easy to get frustrated trying to search the internet due to much of it being in text form. Having the option to hear the text rather than having to struggle with reading it helps users get the information they are seeking without the frustration or embarrassment that can occur if their literacy levels are not advanced enough for them to easily and comfortably read the text.
- Language Barriers – If you can speak a different language but are not good at reading it, TTS software can be a real advantage. Many people who go to a new country may learn to speak its language but are not able to read it. The technology that TTS software offers allows them to hear the text in the language without having to be able to read it. It is perfect for those learning a new language as well.
- Visual Impairment – TTS software is fantastic for anyone that has visual impairments that make reading text difficult. Sometimes, even if someone can see the text, it causes a lot of eye strain to read on-screen, especially if the text is on different colored backgrounds. By having access to TTS software, they can enjoy surfing the internet or reading documents or emails without the strain.
- Learning Disabilities – Dyslexia and other learning disabilities can cause a lot of problems for people who are trying to read a lot of text. TTS software offers those people the opportunity and ability to experience website content, emails, and documents in a way that they can enjoy and benefit from rather than struggle through.
- Multitasking – Sometimes life can be hectic and prevent people from having the time to do as much reading as they would like to do online. Text to speech software allows them to listen to the content rather than having to read it while doing other things. Since TTS software can be used on tablets and smartphones as well, it provides them with the “on-the-go” factor as well that fits in well with busy schedules.
- Mobile Device Content – It is not easy or comfortable to read a large amount of content on small screens. Text to speech software makes accessing large amounts of content on your phone or tablet easy and enjoyable. You won’t have to worry about scrolling endlessly or straining your eyes to read tiny print. Since most smartphones and tablets have the ability to use headphones, you can listen to the content of your choice without disturbing anyone around you as well.
- Learning Style Differences – You’ve heard that people learn differently. Some learn better through seeing, some through hearing, others through doing. Most people learn best with a combination of all three styles. If you already know that you are an auditory learner, TTS software can be a real help in retaining information and helping you understand certain things that you are reading.
- Business and Professional – Text to speech software can help business people and professionals improve the content on their websites, help them have better presentations, and increase the quality of the content produced. It also enables them to ensure that the content they are using or turning in is at its best. Hearing your content read back to you can be a valuable tool in making sure that you are presenting the best-written information possible.
How We Selected
We selected our Best Overall pick and Best Free TTS software based on consumer testimonials, reviews, and information we found on the individual product websites. We knew from reading consumer reviews that one of the most important factors if not THE most important factor was user friendliness. TTS software loses all of its benefits if the user can’t figure out how it works or has to struggle with getting it to operate properly.
How We Tested
The main objective we had when testing the different text to speech software we collected was to find the one that was the easiest to use and that had the most options available. We also wanted to make sure that we chose software that was reliable, that had good customer support if needed, and that did not have reports of having a lot of problems.
Each of the software choices we tested had similar qualities, but some had more options than others, and some were much easier to use. We tested each one, starting with the initial download to see how smooth the process of downloading was and if there were any problems. Each of the TTS software choices we tested downloaded with no problems.
Next, we looked at the help the software offered users, especially those who may not be very tech savvy. We looked at the help each company offered and evaluated how thorough it was. Were there examples? Tutorials? Customer support if something didn’t go as planned? Our winner, NaturalReader, offered users a helpful tutorial that we could watch to ensure that we were setting things up properly.
We also looked at supported formats and the kind of options and settings each software offered. Users want to have options that fit their needs, so we made sure that the TTS software we tested offered plenty of voice choices, setting options, and much more.
What We Liked
- Our favorite feature of all the software choices we tested was the large selection of voices and languages that NaturalReader offered. Having all of these language choices makes it perfect for a large number of people regardless of where they are from.
- NaturalReader also offered the largest number and range of subscriptions so we could custom tailor the subscription to our specific text to speech needs. This made it the best choice for those who are looking for text to speech software that offers plenty of options and choices.
- We liked that all the TTS software we tested offered users help in downloading and set up. NaturalReader’s tutorial was helpful in the setup process, but all of them offered help in some form to ensure that we had installed everything properly.
What We Didn’t Like
Overall, we felt like there were TOO many choices with some of the software, which could be very overwhelming to someone that is not very tech savvy. For business people, the large range of formats, settings, and converters could come in handy, but for most people, they will not need tons of choices, making much of the software’s capabilities unnecessary for them.
Text to Speech software can help a lot of people who for one reason or another cannot read text on the internet or in emails and documents. The options that are available and the quality of the choices we have presented here offer users many different ways to surf the internet, read their emails, and even learn a new language in a way that doesn’t cause stress, eye strain, and frustration. Before you choose one for yourself, make sure that you know exactly what you will be using the software for so you select one that will accommodate those needs.
Our Best Overall choice, NaturalReader Text to Speech Software, is user-friendly, has helpful tutorials that users can watch during set up, has plenty of voice options and language choices, and is feature rich. You can’t go wrong choosing this TTS software for yourself or to give to someone you care about for a gift. They will certainly appreciate how easy it is to use and the world it will open up to them if they haven’t been able to read text on web pages, documents, and other things easily.