You will likely agree that owning a boat is a big deal. And, considering the money you spend to buy and care for one, it should be. That’s why protecting your investment is a no-brainer.
If you live in Australia, then you’re aware that boat storage Melbourne provides help with this growing industry. This is because boat owners realize the importance of storing their expensive assets in safe and convenient places.
New to this hobby? Let’s make sure you make the most of it.
Reasons for Boat Storage
Let’s have a look at the most common reasons why one would decide to opt for boat storage:
- Theft: This is the number one reason to consider keeping your boat in a safe and secure place.
- Unwanted Access: A boat that’s left in the waters unattended will just attract unwanted access. Random strangers will be able to access it and make it their temporary place of rest.
- High Seas: Apart from undesirable human conduct even the natural elements can endanger your asset. If storms or hurricanes occur, high seas may sweep it away or damage it.
- Laws: Some municipal bylaws are making it difficult to store large boats in residential areas.
So, does your boat need some extra protection?
If you don’t wish to lease a spot, you always have the option of purchasing your very own marina berth. All over Australia you’re able to find loads of marina berths for sale. This means you don’t have to worry about the hassles of dealing with a boat-storage leasing company.
How to Pick a Berth
Before picking a berth, make sure the following is available:
- Access to fuel
Advantages of Boat Storage
This industry isn’t only driven by fear of damage to boats. There’s much more to gain. Below we list nearly all of the benefits of utilizing boat storage facilities:
- Protection: These locations are specifically designed to keep your boat safe because they employ advanced security measures for added protection. This protection is not available if you leave your boat on the water side. Also, by keeping your boat in a protected location, you eliminate the risk of having unwanted “guests” on your property.
- Lower Maintenance Cost: Leaving your boat by the waterside means it is continually exposed to varying harsh weather elements. Factors such as prolonged direct sunlight or continuous rainfall will cause premature wear and tear of your boat. As a result, you’ll incur more maintenance costs. However, if they’re placed in enclosed spaces, these risks are eliminated.
- Cost Effective: Yes, it’s actually not as expensive as you might think. Just make sure you research and compare different boat storage facilities to find one that suits your budget.
- Exclusive Access: You get to access the boat at any given time.
- Easier Maintenance: Let’s face it: It’s much easier to do any work on your boat if it’s on land than when it’s in the water. Whether you want to clean or repaint, you can do with ease.
Factors to Consider before Picking a Boat Storage Facility
As mentioned earlier, the boat storage industry is on the rise. This means there are a number of storage and boat berth companies in Melbourne who’re offering this service and claiming guaranteed security. That’s why it’s important to research before ultimately deciding where to keep your boat. Below are a few things worth looking for in these companies.
Each location charges different prices with some being more expensive than others. Your best option will be to look for an affordable facility that’ll suit your budget.
Apart from the overall cost, you must find out if they offer short- or long-term leases. Knowing this will ensure you pick the facility that ensures your financial flexibility. This way you’re not tied to a long binding contract if you want to keep your boat stored for just a couple of months. Also, you won’t have to deal with any penalties associated with any “breaching of contract” if you change your location suddenly.
How secure are the parking bays? After all, that’s the whole point of taking your boats there in the first place right? Inspect the security measures and features they offer:
- Do they have 24-hour surveillance cameras
- Are there patrolling guards?
- Does it have a perimeter fence?
- Is armed response standard?
- Can you see security beams?
The location protected by sophisticated and state of the art security measures will definitely put your mind at ease so concerns about your boat won’t keep you up at night.
Before you pick a company, you should inquire about its policies regarding accessing your boat. If you want to use your boat after hours will they allow you? Some facilities will not grant you access after a specific time. It’s in your best interest to find out that information before signing any contracts to avoid disappointment.
Also, make sure the location allows for you to navigate through to your boat’s location easily.
As you can see taking your waterborne crafts to a storage facility is in your best interest. Plus, it’s an affordable and safe option—whether you lease or buy.
Last tip: We’d highly recommend you fit your boat and engine with the necessary covers before taking them there, for added protection.
By utilizing these facilities, you can sleep well knowing one of your most prized possessions is in good hands whether you’re present or not.